Skip to main content

Attitude - The Spiritual posturing




Activity and Attitude 

Every activity we do has two components, one is the activity per se and the other is the attitude behind that activity.  The whole of creation is made up of activity. Everywhere you can see that activity is going on.  Ocean is constantly developing waves, river is constantly flowing, sunrise and sunset, seasons change etc. Everywhere there is activity, but in nature this activity is just what it is. Only in the case of human being, along with that activity, there is another important component & that is the attitude behind activity. In fact, you can see in the case of animals also, some degree of that attitude is manifesting. If you have a pet dog and you want to take the dog for a walk, very often you can see that the dog is pulling you back, which means there is no interest in walking. It is mentally not prepared for that walk. Whereas once you try to pull it and then take it forward, it goes with you temporarily. There is enough resistance to walk but then later on it adjusts itself.  But in the case of human beings, we have a very strong aspect of this attitude.

 In Sanskrit this attitude is known as vrutti or abhivrutti or Bhava.  Karma depends upon the situation outside which is external. Changing of that karma is not in our hands. But while doing that karma, how to adapt our mental state is in our hands.  Let me illustrate this with the help of an example. I go to office from my house by walk, which maybe about a couple of kms.  In the morning when I go the same distance as a morning walk, I feel it's very enjoyable and nourishing, I have very nice moments to reflect on myself and it works like a tonic. But when I'm walking to go to the office, I feel that the distance is too much, it's tiring, and that it’s a waste of time and like a burden for me. The distance is the same and you are the same person who is walking but when you walk for a morning walk it's something that you enjoy whereas while going for work it becomes like a pressure on you. This only indicates that activity used is the same but the attitude behind it is so different. This attitude is purely in our hands & we are responsible for that. If I don't have the right kind of attitude, then the same work becomes like a pressure, burden and stress. When we have the right kind of an attitude, that same thing is enjoyable and nourishing.  Hence Karma Yoga is more to do with attitude and not so much about what activity you do.  Therefore, the definition of yoga is truly not to change the activity but the attitude behind the activity. 

Interestingly, in the case of Sanskrit, the word for attitude is also worth, so it comes from the same root as ‘vrit’. Therefore, when Patanjali says that vrutti nirodha is yoga, it is more to do with the attitude than the activity. 

Activity belongs to the world outside and attitude is the background Atma of that activity. Unfortunately, what people would see is the activity that you do but the attitude behind it is known only to you. Unless you turn inwards you will not know about the attitude.  Many times, what happens is, even though we know it is the attitude which is giving us the problem, our intellect substantiates that the attitude is logical or rational. Therefore, what can we do?  The question is not about right or wrong, the question is whether it helps your peace of mind or does it take away your peace of mind. This is where we try to rise above the level of pairs of opposite called right and wrong, good and bad to a level where it is peace of mind, which is the spiritual goal.

All the suggestions of Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita are not to change the activity but to change the attitude, so that an activity not only becomes acceptable but it can become a spiritual journey. We are always with some activity or the other. Therefore, it is understandable that if you can make this activity as the spiritual practice, then we are sadhakas 24x7. Every activity can become like a celebration. 

Let me share with you a beautiful hypothetical example which shows the importance of attitude behind the activity. There is a temple construction going on in the village and several people are involved in activities of stone cutting. A lady press reporter wanted to run a story about the temple activity and she came there to interview people. She went to one of the stonecutters and asked what is the work that he is doing. The person ignored once or twice but later on when she repeated the question third time, he replied with irrigation, “don’t you see that I'm cutting the stone?” The Lady replied “yes, I see that, but I heard that there is a temple coming up so you are working for this temple. How do you feel about it?”  This man annoyingly answered her, “whether it is Temple or anything, cutting the stone is so hard that it is like punishment. Look at my hands that are bitten by the hardness of the Stone. Even for a moment if I would like to take rest, the supervisor is constantly behind me. I don't know what kind of sin I have done in past life that I have to pay in this life. I am struggling and you want to run a story and enjoy, get lost”. 

There is another person who is also doing the same work of cutting the stones.  She went to him and asked what is that he is doing. He said, “I'm cutting the stone”. She further asked, “I think that you are working for the temple, a sacred activity?”  He very reluctantly said whether it is Temple or any other building, the work is the same and I get paid so less that it is inadequate to feed my family, but then I have no better choice therefore I continue doing this mechanically.  She went to the third fellow who is also cutting the stone and asked the same question. He was so delighted looking at her and said, “I'm so happy to talk to you, such a beautiful temple is coming up and I am so fortunate to have an opportunity to work in this temple, the supervisor is like God, he helps me all the time how to cut the stone, and when I'm cutting it, the sound of the stone is like music to the ears. When I see the Tashkent, a beautiful figure of the image emerges out of the stone. Is it not a beautiful creativity? Whether I work 8 or 10 or 24 hours, it's lovely to work here. I decided that as long as this temple work is going on I will do the work here. Later on, I will associate myself with this temple work only, like I'm doing great service to God and the immense satisfaction I get is invaluable. How much they pay me is immaterial and secondary, the joy of working is most important.” So, this example shows that between these three people, work is the same but for one it's like a punishment, the second it’s mechanical and for the third it is like a worship. This is because of the attitude behind the work.

Once we understand the idea of attitude, we can find our own way to see how we can adapt our attitude, such that no situation becomes a burden on us and life becomes a celebration. Maybe in the next article we will be able to discuss the suggestions given by Krishna in the Gita, and what kind of an attitude we should develop while doing the activity.  This is the basis for Karma Yoga.


- N.V.Raghuram

September 2021